Classified Immovable Properties

    MM018-“Leal Senado” Building



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Avenida de Almeida Ribeiro

    Originally built in 1784, this was Macao’s original city hall, a function that the building maintains to the present. The name “Leal Senado” (Loyal Senate), derives from the title “City of Our Name of God, There is None More Loyal” which was bestowed by the King of Portugal D. João IV. The “Leal Senado” Building follows a general neo-classic style and has retained all its original master walls and general architectural layout, including a small courtyard garden in the inner patio. Inside the building, alongside the main staircase, the walls are decorated with typical Portuguese style blue and white glazed tiles. On the first floor there is a noble ceremonial meeting room that has a small chapel annexed and opens onto an elaborately carved library, inaugurated in 1929, with its design styled after the library of the Convent of Mafra in Portugal. This library stores a rare collection of books and includes a record of the city’s official gazettes dating back to the 17th century.

    Cultural Facilities:

    Temporary Exhibition Gallery of the Civic and Municipal Affairs Bureau,IACM Building Library


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.