Classified Immovable Properties

    MM023-Pou Chai Temple (Kun Iam Tong)



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Avenida do Coronel Mesquita

    This is one of the three oldest temples in Macao. According to an inscription found in an iron bell, with the date of 1632, it’s possible to estimate the age of this temple. Restoration works were performed in 1818 and 1858, contributing towards the present day form of the complex. The first pavilion that is found alongside the main axis of the entrance is the temple of Tai Hong Pou Tin, the second is that of Cheong Sau Tin and the third is dedicated to Kun Iam Tin.

    The great master of Chinese painting from the Leng Nam School, Kou Kim Fu lived here during the period of the 2nd World War and taught painting techniques. There is a garden inside the temple where it can be found a stone table and stools, where the “Treaty of Mong-Ha” was signed between China and America.

    The land where this temple is located has a very extensive area. In addition to the central pavilions, there are also side pavilions, as well as a garden, in the backyard, where it’s possible to find a group of memorial stones with inscriptions.


    Architectural characteristics:

    The temple occupies a large area and consists of three sets of three parallel chambers. Besides the main temple area, there are the side halls and rooms for religious activities and behind the temple there is a garden and a memorial hall.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.