Classified Immovable Properties

    MM015-Wall of St. Francis Fortress



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Avenida da Praia Grande

    The fortress is located on Praia Grande Bay and was constructed in the 1720s. It originally belonged to the Franciscan Monastery, and was equipped with six cannons with a maximum range reaching as far as Kai Keang Hill in Taipa. In its day, the fortress was therefore an important coastal defence.


    Architectural characteristics:

    Oval in shape, the fortress wall is 6 metres high. It is divided into upper and lower floors, with a tunnel that leads to the bottom of the fortress (now not used due to land reclamation). The two-storied building behind the fortress is currently St. Francis Barracks.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.