Classified Immovable Properties

    MM009-Mong-Ha Fortress



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Mong Ha Hill

    Construction of this fortress was initiated by Ferreira do Amaral in 1849, the same year that the referred Governor was assassinated. Construction works were interrupted until 1864 and later continued, being concluded by Governor Coelho do Amaral, in 1866. The fortress has 10 cannons. Previously there was a military barrack at the site for lodging Portuguese soldiers from Africa. The fortress was later demilitarized in 1976.


    Architectural characteristics:

    The fortress covers an area of 650 square metres and is surrounded by stone walls. There was a surveillance post and several munitions warehouses in the fortress. The cannons had an artillery range that could reach the Border Gate and was an important defence and attack position in the northern part of Macao.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.