Classified Immovable Properties

    MM014-D. Maria II Fortress



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Dona Maria II Hill

    Constructed in 1852 following the direction of Eng. António de Azevedo e Cunha to provide assistance to Mong-Ha Fortress, it helped to consolidate the military defenses in the northern area of the peninsula. The fortress is located at the top of Ma Kau Seac Hill. During the Pacific War the fortress was bombarded by American planes, on the 16th January 1943. The plan of this fortress follows the form of an irregular hexagonal design and the main access is enabled through a movable bridge, inspired in the type of access that was typical in medieval times. After crossing the main gateway, there is a corridor with vaulted ceilings and side-walls, where guards would secure the area while being hidden. Already inside the fortress, there used to be a gunpowder deposit and a water reservoir. Further ahead, in the northern area of the fortress stood a platform where a cannon was located.


    Architectural characteristics:

    The fortress is an asymmetrical hexagonal building with a hanging bridge as its entrance gate. Behind the gate lay a winding corridor with a vault, in the middle a storehouse for gunpowder and on the north side of the fortress was a circular rock platform on which stood a 360° revolving cannon.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.