Classified Immovable Properties

    MM004-St. Lazarus’ Church and forecourt



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Rua de João de Almeida

    St. Lazarus’ Church was built between 1557 and 1560 and is one of the three oldest churches in Macao. Dom Belchior Carneiro, the first Catholic Bishop of Macao, established a hospital there for lepers named after the patron saint of lepers. Following various extensions and adaptations, the present church has remained more or less the same since its renovation in 1886. In 1576 it was Macao’s cathedral and it has been the centre of Macao’s Chinese Catholic community since the 17th century.


    Architectural characteristics:

    The façade of the neoclassic church is asymmetrical and the main building is divided into two storeys, each with three windows. The building is topped with a pediment with a relief composed of a cross and an anchor, representing believe and faith. A belfry is attached to the right side of the façade and there are two aisles inside the church.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.