Classified Immovable Properties

    MM002-St. Anthony’s Church and forecourt



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Santo António Square

    First built before 1560, this is one of the oldest churches in Macao, also marking the site where the Jesuits first set up their original headquarters in the city. The church was rebuilt in 1875, when it acquired its present-day configuration. In 1930, the building’s exterior was covered with a grainy “shanghai-plaster”. The church has a neo-classical façade and Baroque influenced interior, exemplified in the elaborate design of the main altar. In the past, this church was very popular among the local Portuguese community, particularly for wedding ceremonies, giving rise to the Chinese name of Fa Vong Tong, meaning “Church of Flowers”.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.