Classified Immovable Properties

    SM012-Vitória Park



    Location: Macao

    Category: Sites

    Introduction: Avenida de Sidónio Pais

    The Portuguese Government of Macao inaugurated this park in 1871 to celebrate the successful victory against the Dutch, who attempted to invade and take over Macau in June 1622. Initially, the park was once known as “Field of the Repentant”, before being remembered as the “Field of Victory” and “Victory Square” later on. The octagonal stone monument in the centre of this garden was created by the famous Portuguese sculptor and decorator Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro, which features the Portuguese national emblem, laurel leafs that symbolise victory, and a religious cross engraved at the top. On the pedestal, an inscription was engraved, which features an excerpt from the famous epic poem Os Lusíadas written by the great poet Luís de Camões. Despite the fact that this is a relatively small park, it has a pleasant environment and is very popular to locals.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.