Classified Immovable Properties

    AM042-Former Municipal Cattle Stable and Municipal Kennels of Macao



    Location: Macao

    Category: Buildings of architectural interest

    Built in 1912, the Former Municipal Cattle Stable was used to quarantine and keep  cattle. In 1924, the complex was reconstructed, maintaining its layout and exterior mostly unchanged until present date. In 1987, the cattle stable functions were moved to Ilha Verde, and part of the structure was converted into a storehouse and the rest turned into an exhibition venue. In 1948, the Macao Municipal Kennels moved to this  location and started to offer veterinary appointments, shelter, vaccination and licensing for domestic animals, among other services.

    Architectural characteristics:

    The Former Municipal Cattle Stable is composed of two parallel bungalows with truss roof structures. The combination of  colors of the mahogany roof and khaki wall superbly exemplifies Portuguese eclecticism in architecture. The part of the complex corresponding nowadays to the services of the Macao Municipal Kennels presents a simple architecture that is typical of the mid-20th century, also integrating decorative elements that reveal influences from the Art Deco architectural style that was popular at the time in Macao.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.