Classified Immovable Properties

    MM019-Holy House of Mercy



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Largo do Senado

    The Holy House of Mercy was originally established by the first Bishop of Macao, Dom Belchior Carneiro, in 1569. The building was constructed around mid 18th century, acquiring its present appearance, which is essentially neo-classical with traces of mannerist influence, in 1905. This institution was modelled after one of the most prominent and oldest charitable organizations in Portugal, and was responsible for founding in Macao the first western-style hospital, a lepers clinic, an orphanage and several other social welfare structures that still function to this day. One of the principal roles of Macao’s Holy House of Mercy was to provide support for orphans and widows of sailors who died at sea, a role that is intimately linked to Macao’s profile in the context of the principal regional and international maritime trading routes.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.