Classified Immovable Properties

    MM005-St. Lawrence’s Church and forecourt



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Rua de São Lourenço

    Originally built by the Jesuits before 1560, this is one of the oldest churches of Macao. The present-day building was the result of the works carried out in 1846, following the project of local Macanese Architect Tomás D’Aquino.  Before the development of Praia Grande Bay, the building used to have a direct view towards the riverside and families of Portuguese sailors used to gather on the front steps of the church to await for their safe return, reason why this church is also known as Feng Shun Tong in Chinese, which means “Hall of the Soothing Winds”. St. Lawrence’s Church is a neo-classical building. The church also presents a rare local collection of stained coloured glass windows depicting biblical themes, amidst other decorative elements that contribute towards a rich welcoming interior.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.