Classified Immovable Properties

    MM011-Guia Fortress



    Location: Macao

    Category: Monuments

    Designation: Guia Hill

    Built between 1622 and 1638, this fortress was, together with Mount Fortress, crucial in the protection of the city from the tentative Dutch invasion of 1622. Inside the fortress stands Guia Chapel, built around 1622 and Guia Lighthouse built in 1865, the first modern lighthouse on China’s coast, still in operation to this day. Macao takes the reference for its geographic co-ordinates from the exact location of the lighthouse. Guia Chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Guia, noting that “Guia” means “Guidance” in Portuguese. In 1996, frescoes were uncovered inside Guia Chapel during routine conservation works. The chapel’s elaborate frescoes depict representations of both western and Chinese themes, displaying motifs of religious and mythological inspiration that are a perfect example of Macao’s multicultural dimension. Guia Fortress, together with Guia Chapel and Lighthouse are remarkable symbols of Macao’s military, maritime and missionary past.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.