Classified Immovable Properties

    MC001-Church of St. Francisco Xavier



    Location: COLOANE

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Eduardo Marques Park, Coloane

    The church was originally a nursery under the Canossian Sisters. In 1928, the church was reconstructed in commemoration of the the missionary St. Francis Xavier, and for many years it held a relic of the saint along with relics of 59 Japanese and 14 Vietnamese martyrs. The church still contains a statue of St. Francis Xavier. A picture hanging on the transept wall –a traditional image of a Chinese goddess with a baby in her hands, a Chinese version of the Virgin Mary– reflects cultural interchange between East and West.


    Architectural characteristics:

    The church is a simple two-storey milky yellow building with a belfry in the middle of the third floor. On each side of the main hall is a small room.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.