Classified Immovable Properties

    MT009-Taipa Fortress, at the quay



    Location: TAIPA

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Northwestern part of Taipa

    Constructed in 1846, the fortress was originally built to provide defence against pirate attacks. Later it was used as a summer residence for the Governor of Macao, then in 1975 it became the Island’s Police Station and today it is the headquarters of the Macao Scouting Association.


    Architectural characteristics:

    Taipa Fortress has small cannons at the main entrance and around the perimeter of the fortress. The fortress’ barracks face the sea to the west with corridors from which beautiful scenery can be viewed. Two sentry posts flank the barracks. To the rear there is a cylindrical building, which was once used as an ammunitions warehouse.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.