Classified Immovable Properties

    MT001-Church of Our Lady of Carmel



    Location: TAIPA

    Category: Monuments

    Introduction: Church of Our Lady of Carmel

    Built in 1885, the church was constructed to serve the Catholics who lived in Taipa at the time. It also marked the arrival of the Portuguese to Taipa and remains the only Catholic church there today. The church and the surrounding buildings are neoclassical in design and the area is popular for wedding ceremonies and sightseeing.


    Architectural characteristics:

    Covering approximately 2,000 square feet, the spacious hall can accommodate over two hundred worshippers. A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary stands on the altar which allegedly was brought from Europe. Statues of angels that are several feet high flank the altar, added to commemorate the centenary of the church.



    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.