Classified Immovable Properties

    AM005-Sir Robert Ho Tung Library



    Location: Macao

    Category: Buildings of architectural interest

    Introduction: Santo Agostinho Square

    This building was constructed before 1894 and was originally the residence of Dona Carolina Cunha. Sir Robert Ho Tung, a prominent Hong Kong businessman purchased it in 1918, using it as his retreat after he retired and relocated to Macao during the 2nd World War. He passed away in 1956 and in accordance with his will, the building was donated to the Macao Government, together with a monetary fund of twenty-five thousand Hong Kong dollars, for the acquisition of books, with the intention of converting the building into a public library. The library has been opened to the public since 1958. An antique books quarter located on the first floor of the building houses a rare collection of Chinese books dating back to the Ming Dynasty, including early Chinese to English and Chinese to Portuguese dictionaries and Christian publications written in the late 19th to early 20th century.


    Privacy Policy    |    Feedback

    Copyright © Cultural Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved
    Praça do Tap Seac, Edif. do Instituto Cultural, Macau
    Tel:(853) 2836 6866 Fax:(853) 2836 6899 Email:webmaster@icm.gov.mo

    Best view at 1024 x 768 resolution with 10 or above versions of Internet Explorer, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 or above versions.